I tested and tested and broke a thread - the hardest one of the 4 to rethread and so learned how to do that and then broke the second most difficult one and learned how to do that. And played some more and made a patchwork table cloth (so learned how to do corners - I didn't quite get them until the 3rd one)...
Then I made an apron with a pocket for my serger so I'd have a place to put scissors, tweezers, the little crank you need to change needles, etc.
My serger thread is on a UPS truck that is, apparently, saving the best delivery for last. I ran out of the starter thread... and the I used a spool of regular and emptied it and then decided that I'd serged enough for one day.
But, fun. I did go to the library and picked up a pile of serger books. They were helpful and fun to go through. I plan do spend some quality time with them in the next day or two.