But now we have google. I researched a bunch of different ways to make a pattern from clothes that you did not want to destroy and found one that does not work great for fleece but works plenty good enough.
Using painters and masking tape, I made a taped version of the pattern piece right on the jacket. (Picture of me taking picture is tossed in for free here.)
Then I carefully removed the tape in one piece and placed it on the pellon.
Then I traced around it, added extra for seam allowance, marked instructions and BAM! I have a pattern piece!
I'm really quite tickled with the process and the product. There really are only 3 pieces to make for this simple jacket since I am going to make a different collar and different pockets. I need a front piece and a sleeve piece (I'll cut two of each but only need one pattern piece).
1. I needed to have used heavier pellon.
2. I needed to have used higher quality (not as sticky) painters tape.
3. I needed to have overlapped the tape way more for better removal.