So I have a plan... I've ordered a Nexus 4 from Google. I can return it in 15 days. My plan is to hook it up to T-Mobile which I can cancel. I figure if I bail on the whole thing, I'm out maybe $60 but probably not that much. And, at least I'll know for sure whether my options are good ones. It's not the phone I want BUT I don't think the phone I want is being made yet. So this will buy me some time with a phone and a plan I can live with until they make what I want.
And if I do decide to keep it, I can Gazelle my Note II (before the Note 3 is announced) and recoup my contract early termination fee.
So that's my plan. The only wrinkle is that the T-Mobile website is not letting me buy a sim with my Discover card. I can call or, if I have to, actually go to a T-Mobile store.